In our Talent Top 10 series we give readers the chance to get to know the friendly faces behind the Axis Insurance Group agencies. This week we asked 10 questions to our talented staff member Jessica Anderson - Manager, Broking Services & Account Administration.
1. What's involved in your current role at Metrix Professional Insurance Brokers? Did you start in this role or take a specific career path to get there?
I initially started with Metrix in 2010 to handle the Subway Program. I also oversaw a few small programs and did some general business marketing. Over time I took on more responsibilities which lead me to being appointed manager for our office in 2013.
Today, my role involves managing Metrix and some Shaw Sabey staff for the CL Broking Services & Account Administration. I conduct marketing for the Metrix office while overseeing the group marketing and Subway Program. I handle the Insurance Broker's E&O Program and I'm the in-house underwriter for the Newline Lloyds Contract and Intact Adjusters Program. I also work closely with Irene on the market and contract management to negotiate Lloyds contracts for the group as a whole and strategize book rollovers. Lastly, I develop and facilitate round tables with the Broking Services & Account Administration management team.
2. What three words would you use to describe Metrix?
Supportive, professional and fun!
3. If you won the lottery, what's the first thing you'd do?
Grab my husband and daughter and jump on the first plane to Hawaii. While relaxing in the sun and away from distractions, I'd figure out what to do will all my millions/billions!
4. What's your most memorable experience on this team/in this role?
There were many memorable experiences leading up to when we moved into our new office back in June 2017. Prior to the move, Metrix was located in an office that we had for more than 15 years. When the move was announced we were tasked with cleaning out the office and boy did we find some treasures! I challenged people to find the oldest piece of paper. Some people found paper that dated back to the 1970s! We found old photos of staff when people had a lot more hair than they do now… We had a lot of fun times in that office and reflected on these as we filled three HUGE boxes with recyclables. Although I was sad to leave our office behind, I was beyond excited to move into a brand new office and get to know my Axis and Shaw Sabey coworkers.
5. Before working at Metrix, what's the most interesting job you had?
I worked at a company called Party Perfect where we ran children’s birthday parties. I often had to dress up as a clown or princess and do face painting and balloon animals. I cannot carry a tune to save my life so always hated when we had to sing “Happy Birthday”.
6. What's your favourite thing about working in insurance?
I enjoy helping people, both clients and colleagues, whether it is educating clients on insurance coverage and terminology or assisting clients during a difficult claim. I'm also an insurance geek so I love talking about insurance and bouncing ideas off of my colleagues.
Insurance is an ever-changing industry as it must adapt to the evolving needs of the economy. New products are developed to address new insurance needs. I love the opportunity to continue my education and growth through learning these products.
I believe in life-long learning and feel that the insurance industry supports that through professional development.
7. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Handstand walk. I’m practicing but can barely hold a handstand for 2 seconds at this point. My daughter thinks it’s pretty funny when I fall flat on my face!
8. Tell us something that might surprise us...
I can do handstand push ups, legless rope climbs and a pegboard (those are so hard!).
9. What is your favourite indoor or outdoor activity?
My favorite indoor activity is Crossfit. I’ve been crossfitting for seven years and have gained so much strength in this time. I started off not being able to do a push-up, pull-up or even squat with the bar. Today I can easily do push-ups, pull-ups, squat over my bodyweight and I’m so close to joining the 200# deadlift club!
My favorite outdoor activity is cycling with my daughter. I used to race bikes when I was younger – mountain, road and track, so I love that my daughter has picked up my old passion. She is three years old and rides a two-wheeler ridiculously fast, it scares me!
10. What skills (technical and soft) would make someone successful in your role?
- Strong understanding of technical insurance and regulations
- Willingness to grow and learn
- Desire to work with others and collaborate on projects by bouncing ideas off each other or being open minded to others point of view
- Ability to be challenged and challenge others
- Remain calm under stress
- Strong time management
- Proactive approach to problem solving with the ability to come up with multiple alternatives
- Strong negotiator
Interested in joining the Axis Group team? Take a look at our current job openings!